Background

Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday, February 3, 2014: Tender Mercies

Well, I somehow managed to survive transfers! On top of leaving Picayune and saying goodbye to my companions and dealing with the crazy weather I don't know how I did it. We had to leave the night before transfers to sleep over in Waveland because the roads were possibly going to close and we wouldn't be able to get to transfer point. My companions and I stopped at the ocean while we were there. The shoreline had receded quite a bit while we'd been there, so we started picking up some of the seashells that had been covered before and throwing them...they just skidded. The ocean was frozen! That's how cold it was. It was crazy. 

Anyway, I was supposed to be getting transferred to Wesson, but President called me on the way to transfers and told me he was sending me to Red Star instead. Now I'm even more in the middle of nowhere...even more so than I would have been if I was in Wesson! Red Star isn't a town, it's a community, and it's pretty much all Mormons, so we're pretty much just doing member work while we're here. It's going to be a very unique experience, that's for sure. 

These past couple of days have been kind of rough for me, but here's a few things that show me that the Lord's tender mercies really are over all those whom he hath chosen. First of all, I was paired with Sister Dailey, my companion from the MTC! I feel so lucky to get to be her companion again. That happens very rarely, so we're pretty lucky. If I have to whitewash this area, I'm glad I'm doing it with her! 

Second, our little house (I've named it Mortimer) stays very cold. I don't handle the cold well at all, so it's been tough for me. We put our little space heater in our bedroom and try to avoid leaving that room because it's the only place in our house that will stay warm. I dread having to leave to go to the kitchen or the bathroom. The first night we were there, I stepped out into the kitchen and the hardwood was absolutely freezing. It was like stepping on ice. Then I remembered some slippers I'd gotten from a game we played at our Christmas zone conference. I'm not much of a slipper person, so as I was packing to leave I almost considered giving them away, but for some reason I packed them anyway. Now I'm thankful I had the thought to keep them, because it makes having to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night a little less miserable. 

There is always, always, always something to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment