Background

Friday, January 3, 2014

Monday, December 30, 2013: On Laughter

Hello! 

I know it's been a while since I posted anything on here. Sorry about that. 

But things have been going really well here! We had transfers two weeks ago. Sister Diehl left us but I got to keep Sister Parsons and we got a new one, Sister Helms. I'm thinking I'll probably be leaving Picayune after this transfer, despite informing President McDonough in every weekly letter that I intend to stay here forever. 

Christmas was great! It was so good to get to talk to my family again. I miss those guys. Elder and Sister Platt set up the family history computers at the church so we could skype there and not be in anyone's way. The Platts are absolute angels. They've been taking such good care of us missionaries, especially this week. 
So, quick story for you. A couple of days ago it was raining really, really hard. Unfortunately for us it was our biking week and we had some appointments we needed to get to. It wasn't safe for us to bike, so we decided we would just have to walk there. The sidewalks and streets were flooded with water so by the time we reached our first appointment our feet were soaked, and it was only by the mercy of our umbrellas that the rest of us was still semi-dry. 

Well, as were heading home a truck sped right past us, through a puddle--or maybe I should call it a lake--of water. Well, you can probably guess where this is going. The water came up in a giant tidal wave over us. Sister Helms was walking in front of me and I literally couldn't see her for a moment. Then another car passed by, and another, and another, and...well, you get the idea. After that we didn't even bother walking around any puddles that stood in our way, we just waded right through them--we certainly couldn't get any wetter. 

In situations like those, I think you can either laugh about the situation, or feel miserable. I'm grateful God has given me the ability to laugh when doors get slammed in my face or when I'm biking against the frigid wind or when the day just goes plain wrong--otherwise I don't think I would be able to get through it. 
"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” -Marjorie Pay Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment